Thursday, August 27, 2015

Diet???

 As a fitness instructor and trainer I always get asked about how to maintain a healthy diet and weight, and what I do for my own personal routine, now by no means am I a dietitian or nutritionist, but I can give a few tips that work for me. Fitness and diet definitely go hand in hand and you can not have one without the other and be successful.It makes no sense to workout and then go eat Mcdonalds- obviously an extreme- but you get it.

I always stress you have to find something that works for YOU. What I do and eat may not work for you, all I can suggest is make it a lifestyle, not  a DIET. I don't believe in diets. Usually people decide to diet, they change their eating habits drastically, are miserable while they are on this diet, and that may last for a few weeks if you are lucky, and then its back to old habits. Same goes with an exercises routine. You can't expect to go from not working out to 6 days a week right away and keep it up. Start slow with something you can handle and commit to, say 2 days a week for a month or two, then add in another day or two. Find something you ENJOY doing. Working out should be fun! If you hate running, don't run. You wont stick to it. Find a type of exercises or class you enjoy, at a place where you like the instructors and people,  a fun atmosphere where you can get motivated and inspired.

Same goes with your eating habits. If you can make eating healthy a LIFESTYLE you wont have to turn down that dessert, or glass (or in my case, glasses) of wine. My mentality is if I am eating healthy 95% of the time, I can indulge in that other 5% and not even worry about it. Again, I think the trick is to find healthy foods and dishes, that you enjoy. Healthy eating doesn't have to be tasteless or boring. Another thing I try to do, is eat at home, and/or make everything myself. This way I know exactly what I am eating and what ingredients are used. I also always bring snacks with me, both for me and Lennon. I am always on the go, and this helps me avoid going to grab a snack at Tims or starbucks or even worse fast food! Pack for the day with healthy snacks like nuts or veg. I bring my homemade power bars with me every day (I'll post this recipe up soon) I try to buy mostly organic as well, I know this is not in everyones budget so you can pick and choose what you buy organic and what you don't. I would stress meat for sure organic, and things like berries, apples,spinach, peppers, celery....there's actually something you can find online called the "dirty dozen and the clean 15": http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/queen-of-green/faqs/food/what-are-the-dirty-dozen-and-the-clean-fifteen/
check it out for reference.

I know, I know,  this does take some time, but nothing you can't handle. I'm not superwoman, I just use my time wisely. Whenever I have a few spare hours, I make stuff. I keep my freezer packed so there is always something there to take on the road. I've got muffins and patties for both Lennon and us, always have granola bars and falafels, pesto... I could go on and on. My freezer is stocked! I'm sure if and when another baby comes into the equation, I will have less time, but I figure I managed with one, when I thought I couldn't, so I'll  be able to manage with two. I thought the same thing before I had Lennon- how the hell am I going to do all the things I want and love to do with another person to take care of!! ....but you just figure it out. Just give yourself a few more minutes in the morning to get ready and take advantage of the times when shes playing or sleeping.

Also remember, weight- just like age- is just a NUMBER! don't let it haunt you!




No comments:

Post a Comment