Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Roasted Chickpeas- My Fav Mommy Snack!

Things have been getting super busy for me lately. I'm always pretty busy but since not returning to my day job and doing fitness full time, my schedule has gotten, well, kinda nuts. I still get more time with Lennon then I would if I worked a 9-5, 40 hour a week job, and I make my own schedule but I am running around a bit more than before, and always on the go. I have always been one to have small snacks throughout the day to keep me going, so I make sure to always pack a bunch of things with me on the road. This is key to avoid grabbing unhealthy snacks when you are hungry!! I fill up with a good breakfast, have my 3-5 small snacks during the day, and then a good healthy dinner.

This is one of my snacks.




Love these. Crunchy, spicy and delicious.

Pretty simple to make and you can customize to your tastes.



Roasted Chickpeas:

1 can organic, unsalted chickpeas
1 Tbs cumin
salt to taste
cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
1 Tbs olive oil

Preheat oven to 400. Rinse the chickpeas and place in a medium bowl. Stir in the olive oil and evenly coat. Add the cumin and stir. Then add the salt and cayenne. Spread evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with a bit more salt. Place in the oven for 25 min on the bottom rack. Move to the top rack once the cooking time is done, and leave in the oven until the oven has cooled. This is key for crunchy chickpeas!!! turn the oven back on at 200 degrees, and cook for another hour and 20 min or so, this makes them nice and crunchy. I keep these in the fridge once done and take a little container of them with me for a snack.

I also make a version of these for Lennon. When I make a batch for me, I just take a quarter of the can of chickpeas aside and make them exactly the same way as above- except I use a smaller amount of cumin (probably only a teaspoon or less) and no salt or cayenne. For the baby version you also need to remove the chickpeas after the 25 min first round cooking time. They are roasted but not crunchy so easy for baby to eat, Lennon loves these too and they are a great add on to any meal, also easy to take with you in a little container.




No comments:

Post a Comment